Monday, March 1, 2010

One of my very favorite vacations. Ever.



I love to travel. And perhaps more than the trip itself, I love the planning of the trip. I spend much of the winter months (okay, Northern Michigan winter months, which can include October through May) planning where I would go if I could. Or how much it would cost to have a second home in the Turks and Caicos. Um, yeah, that would be too much.

I do a lot of checking on VRBO and Luxury Link and Small Luxury Hotels of the World. Hey, I've got good taste.

But one of the best vacations I've ever been on was on a small boat with 9 people I didn't know in the rain and cold of Alaska.

(It's the one in the middle)

My mother-in-law gifted us a trip to the Inside Passage of Alaska from Juneau to Sitka. Before we left our summer had consisted of rain and cold and then more rain. And a little more cold for good measure. When I looked on the weather reports that it would rain and be cold in Alaska in August I was a bit disappointed, but geared up to go and see and do everything.



It was grey, but magical. And because of all the rain we saw twenty times the waterfalls than the crew had seen the week before. Because of the rain, we awoke to thousands of moon jellyfish mating in the cove where we spent the night. Don't worry. It was very G-rated.



This trip happened to be with The Boat Company, a wonderful group of people trying to save the Tongass forest of Southeast Alaska and promote conservation. Were money no object, I would take that trip every year of my life. After spending the winter in the Caribbean, of course.








No comments:

Post a Comment